Sunday, September 21, 2008

College of HASS gets new dean

From The Utah Statesman- Sept. 8, 2008

“I’m pretty visionary, and very future oriented,” said Yolanda Flores Niemann, the new dean of the College of HASS, about her plans to bring innovative changes to USU.
“I am one of those people who asks why can’t we do that, and why aren’t we doing that, or wouldn’t it be cool if we did ‘x.’ I think that’s one of the strengths that I bring, I look beyond what is, into what could be,” Niemann said.
“I have asked each of the department heads to do a visioning document, that is due by Dec. 1. Part of what they are supposed to tell me in that document is where they think their field is headed in the next five years, and how we can be sure we are headed toward the future and offering the most cutting edge curriculum we can be offering for students.”
Niemann, who proceeds Gary Kiger, former dean of HASS who died in August from brain cancer, said she loves USU, and wants to ensure that students get the best education possible.
“I have been here since mid-June, and, first of all, it’s a beautiful campus. I have visited many campuses, and none are as beautiful as this campus,” she said. “Second, the students are friendly, but more than anything they are talented, and I am impressed.”
Niemann said one of her first goals is to “share the wealth of our student talent.”
“I want to raise money and have funds available to send students to conferences with faculty. Whether they’re social scientists and want to do a paper, or whether they’re theater performance, musical performance or displaying their art somewhere in an exhibit. We need to let the world know about the incredible talent here,” she said.
Niemann also wants to create a scholarship fund for students who want to study abroad, but can’t afford it.
“Every student ought to get the opportunity to study abroad,” Niemann said.
One of Niemann’s plans to increase funding for programs like study abroad scholarships is to connect alumni back to the university.
“I think it’s important to keep our alumni engaged with the university, and I think the alumni welcome the opportunity,” Niemann said.
“Most of us have really warm memories of our undergraduate college years, so one of the things that I am offering this year is a HASS distinguished alumni speakers series, and that is one way of bringing back our alumni, bringing them back to campus and reminding them of what a great place this is, and what the university did for them.”
Niemann said this speaker series will also help students see exactly what they can become and get them thinking about different ways to apply a college education to the career field.
“You never know how your education is going to affect you,” she said.
Niemann said she is very student oriented, and wants to hear from students on ways the College of HASS can better their education.
“Nobody tells it like students. Students are the ones in the trenches experiencing everything,” she said.
“I think it’s very important that I get advice from students, and stay connected with them, so I am starting two advisory groups, a graduate student advisory group that I will meet with twice a semester and an undergraduate student advisory group. I am very excited about having these groups connect with me.”
Niemann said her love for education was nurtured by mentors who helped guide her from an early age, toward higher education and career aspirations.
“Students ought to find somebody with whom they resonate,” Niemann said. “Students should talk with faculty, and ask them for advice. Say these are my goals, how did you do it, and how would you advise me? I think faculty members are very willing and even eager to help students, but sometimes it takes a student’s initiative to say, ‘Can I meet with you and talk with you about this? I recommend that all students to do that.”
When Niemann isn’t in the office, she said she enjoys reading, gardening, golfing with her husband and spending time with her two children, who live in Washington and Texas.“Those are my joys–being with my family, and when we get together with other couples I love to play cards. I could play spades all night. If there is ever a student card tournament, you will probably see me there if I hear about it,” she said.
Niemann got her Ph.D. in psychology, and after graduation stayed on as a professor for four years.“After four years I realized I really needed to get away from the people with whom I trained, and I went to Washington State University and I was there for 12 years in the College of Liberal Arts, and then I came here, so this is the third institution I have worked at,” she said.
Niemann said she is excited to be a part of USU and wants students to know she is “a really good listener.”
“If you think there is something that we can do better in the College of HASS, I would like to know about it,” she said.
Any students who want to get involved or have ideas are welcome to e-mail Niemann at yolanda.fniemann@usu.edu.

No comments: